How to cite a Magazine
Step 1: Formatting the Author's name
- Place the name of the Author in a reversed order. (Last name, First name.) Remember to write the complete first name and not the initials only. If you are to add middle initials or any suffixes such as Jr. and Sr. or roman numerals, add these after the first name and separated it with a comma. End the cited name with a period.
Example: Howard, Ferdinand.
Howard, Ferdinand, Jr.
- If the article is written by more than one writer, place the name of each writer one after the other using the Chicago style of formatting names as instructed above and separate each one with a comma. The last name in the series of entries will be separated with "and."
Example: Howard, Ferdinand, Lee, Robert and Percival Harold.
Step 2: Formatting the title of your source
- In formatting titles taken from magazines, place the complete title of the article where the citation was taken after the name of author. The title must be placed inside quotation marks. Remember not to italicize the title of the article.
Example: Howard, Ferdinand. "The nation mourns"
- Next to the complete title of your article, place the name of the magazine where the article was published. Italicize the name of the magazine, add a comma after it and place the full date when the magazine was published.
Example: Howard, Ferdinand. "The nation mourns" Panorama, January 2, 1955.
- If the magazine was taken from an online source, add the name of the website where the source was taken then add a comma, after which place the exact URL where the page is located. Copy the exact URL from your internet browser and paste it after the name of site.
Example: Howard, Ferdinand. "The nation mourns." Panorama, January 2, 1955, www.panorama.com, place here the exact URL (copy paste it)
- Finally add the complete date when you accessed the source, also remember to place the word "accessed" before the date.
Example: Howard, Ferdinand. "The nation mourns." Panorama, January 2, 1955, www.panorama.com, place here the exact URL (copy paste it) (accessed: June 3, 2012)